Monday, October 25, 2010

The Thrill of Halloween on the Farm

Getting ready for Halloween was an exciting time at our farmhouse.  Mother helped us children make costumes for school parties.  One year, she cut and sewed a multitude of orange and black crepe paper into a witch costume for me.  Another year, she made my sister a pumpkin headed ghost costume, using one of the large pumpkins from the garden for a head.  (I used this as inspiration for my story, "Mama's Prize Pumpkin" in my children's anthology, Tales of Adventure & Discovery.

Mother also made pumpkin cookies for a treat.  She baked pumpkin pies, too. 

We also carved funny faces on pumpkins, then put candles inside for lights.  The hired man told us scary tales as he sat on the kitchen couch waiting for meals.

Sometimes there was a community party at the local town hall, the gathering place for young and old.  Since our farmhouse wasn't located near others, we started from my friend's home in a more populated area for our "trick or treating."

These are just a few of the memories of our Halloween fun on the farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment