Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Autumn's Colored Leaves & Memories on the Farm

Autumn was very colorful on our farm with many maples in the yard and in the woods surrounding the fields.  The maple across the road from the house, near the spring, always turned a vibrant red each year.  We could look out the kitchen window, that Father built above the sink, and see the colorful woodland beyond the barn and corn fields.

Frost often covered the yard and pastures in early morning.  We could see the cows' breath as they meandered to the barn.  Lacy bits of ice formed along the banks of the brook that ran between our house and barn from Whaley Lake, then met the Gardner Hollow Brook in our pasture.  Where did it run from there?  Down through Poughquag, I think.  But I don't know after that...unless it was Fishkill Creek.

What are your autumn memories?

Have you ever put together an autumn memories puzzle?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Mary Emma, what beautiful memories. I can't wait until you share more of them.
    Your blog is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebekah, thanks for visiting Farm Girl Heritage. I'm pleased you like it. I hope to share with others the heritage that has molded me and given me many memories. Your column at Mary Jane Farm's blog is a delight, too.

    ReplyDelete