Wednesday, August 25, 2010

School Time for Farm Children

For my first four years of school, I attended a one-room schoolhouse.  There were six grades, taught by one teacher.  This time of year, I looked forward to going back and seeing all my friends.

Sister and I had new dresses for the first day.  My brothers had new pants (not jeans for school) and shirts.  Even though money wasn't plentiful, Mother got us something new to wear for starting school.  Getting a new "store bought" dress was something I looked forward to.  (Mother made many of our clothes on her treadle sewing machine.  But she purchased dresses for starting school.)

The school was about half a mile from our farm.  Mother or Father drove us to school in the morning.  But most days we walked home from school, carrying our bookbags and lunch boxes. 

I've been trying to find a picture of the Poughquag Schoolhouse but have only come across one on a postcard that probably was an earlier version.  The building seems somewhat different from what a friend and I recall.  So we're wondering if the original school was distroyed or dismantled an a newer one built when we attended.

In a desire to recapture my one-room school memories, I've begun writing my One-Room School Heritage blog.

Some books available about one-room schools around the country.  (Eventually I should compile my blog entries into a book with photos and sketches.)

Legacy of One-Room Schools
One-Room Country Schools: History and Recollections from Wisconsin
Northwest Indiana One Room School

No comments:

Post a Comment